How good am I?! That New Years resolution for 2018 I am starting early – don’t put off tomorrow what you can do today!
I decided to declutter two more things. Coffee mugs and Grocery bags!
When my dad passed away I took a few of his coffee mugs, but I also bought a new plate, bowl and mug set when I bought my house that came with 8 mugs so I had about 28 mugs in total. I only use 6-8 on the regular. With the idea that I could have my whole family over at some point I decided keeping 12 would be a good number so I started on my top shelf (which I can’t even reach so anything up there NEVER gets used) and work my way down. I cleared away 16 mugs with not even a second glance including each and every mug from that plate, bowl and mug combo. They all match, but I don’t love them enough to keep them. I am going to donate them all to Horizon House, a shelter for abused women and their children in Ajax (http://www.herizonhouse.com/)
Next, I decided to tackle my plastic grocery bags (I know shame on me, who uses plastic bags?!!) If you are like me, you grew up with a drawer in your home dedicated to folded plastic grocery bags that you re-used for garbage bags. Well this is what I still do. I re-use them. I don’t have a drawer though because my kitchen doesn’t have a lot of storage space. Instead I have the dogs cupboard where I squish my plastic bags. I had about 20 I am guessing?? Maybe more? They were a disaster. Some were neatly folded (thanks mom) and some where squished in a ball and thrown in (thanks me). I realized that by throwing these out I would be creating a lot of garbage and I didn’t want to do that. I use these bags for garbage or when I am bringing something to someone so I decided to toss them all in one bag and just clean it up. I also made a vow that for the rest of December I will NOT get plastic bags from any store. I will bring my own re-usable bags (which I have plenty of) and will try to continue this for January too – until my bag of plastic bags has diminished.
Overall I am really happy with how this decluttering is making me feel. Of course my mom is terrified that I am desperate for money (because I am trying to sell some things) and that I am going to lose my house (I’m not – not even close). I explained to her that sometimes, in order to clear your head you need to clear your home and that getting rid of my trash, doesn’t mean it isn’t a treasure to someone else! She seemed to understand.
Stay tuned for whats next!
Or something like that…
Yesterday I shared a list of things I want to declutter from my home! I went home and thought about this list and it seemed a bit exhausting to be honest. I was gonna scrap the whole thing, but then I remembered “Nicole your desire is to be LESS lazy”. You can do this!
And so I did. I started with my earrings because I have two earring holders and a ton of earrings that sit there because I never wear earrings.
I grabbed them all and put them in a case and then went painstakingly through every single pair. In total, I threw out 29 pairs that were old, tacky or just really unappealing. I found 15 pairs that I had never even worn! I am trying to sell those because really they are nice and someone else should benefit from them! I kept 5 pairs in total because they are from Pandora or really cute and I can see myself wearing these if I ever have a reason to dress up again.
Here is a small sample of the ones I am selling.
After I completed this task, I felt so good that I went under my sink and grabbed my box with all my makeup in it and threw out all my old makeup!!!
It may look like I still have a lot, but trust me – this box had a LOT more in it. I threw out a ton! I threw out 4 old eye shadow pallets, 2 lipsticks, 2 blushes, 2 mascara tubes and I gave my mom a lovely green eye shadow pallet that will go so nice with her hair colour!
It’s all about baby steps right??
This is just the beginning…stay tuned for more
I have a 3 bedroom, two bathroom house and am a single person (always have been since moving into this home). How have I filled it with STUFF??? I have no idea, but every room has stuff in it! I am by no means an episode of Hoarders, but you would think there are many adults living in my home and not just me (and my mom for the mean time).
I’ve been meaning to de-clutter, knowing that one day in the future I will have a child living in my home who will need space to grow and make the home truly ours. While wasting time on Pinterest I came across a list I will implement for the next 6 weeks and see how much I can truly rid myself of (this may be difficult, I tend to hold on to things for sentimental – or future use – value).
Here is the list of 56 things you (and me) can start with for de-cluttering the crap out of our homes:
- Spare buttons from clothes that you are keeping “just in case” – I have random buttons kept in those little baggies all over my house.
- Makeup past its best – Ya I have a TON of this
- Anything in your home that you look at and don’t like – I think I like everything
- Clothes that don’t fit – I flipped my hangers last year and already gave my sister-in-law a ton of clothes
- Books you’ve never read and won’t ever read – this will be hard for me as I love books!!!
- Books you have read and have no intention of reading again – again…hard for me
- Old magazines – I have none of these thank God!
- Anything that you can get the same information from easily again online – this is interesting
- Anything broken – nothing broken, if something breaks I am over you
- Old bedding in the bottom of your linen cupboard that you never use – I need to match my bedding and then throw away everything else
- Out of date food in the cupboards – again, I clean my fridge out, but cupboards not so much
- Half finished craft projects that are never going to be completed – does this include my scrapbooking room, because I have a problem
- Toiletries you will never use (e.g hand cream/foot cream etc… from a set you got at Christmas) – oh yea I have a lot of this too…please stop buying my lotions people!!!
- Pens that don’t work any longer – I have a lot of pens – but not at home so I am probably good.
- Large items that take up too much room and could be borrowed if you ever need again – I did sell my one table. I have a camping bbq that hasn’t even been used that I need to sell – MENTAL NOTE
- Anything that makes you feel sad or guilty when you look at it – huh, this one will take some thinking
- Games/jigsaws where some of the pieces are missing – I have nothing of this, but once my sweet KOKO gets here I am sure this will change in time
- Chargers for phones you no longer own – I need to download all the pics from my old phones and then sell them with the chargers – MENTAL NOTE
- Kitchen gadgets you never use – that bagel cutter I never used, the popsicle molds that are brand new…okay okay
- Artwork that doesn’t make you happy – I think it all does
- Anything that doesn’t work as well as it should – hmmm again this will be a thinker
- Any earrings that don’t have their partner – I need to just rid of 90% of my earrings because they are cheap crap!
- Any shoes that don’t have their partner – all my shoes have partners…pretty partners.
- Most manuals for items you buy – ya I would probably just buy new if something stopped working …LOL
- Scraps of wrapping paper that won’t wrap anything – again can we just leave my scrapbook room alone cause that will take some time to organize
- Educational notes etc… from prior qualifications – Like my seven binders from teachers college and my B.A??? Can I re-read them all first???
- Any plastic carrier bags you are stockpiling I have a ton of plastic bags – I reuse them as garbage bags!
- Sports bras that have lost their hold! – I threw out three yesterday – SO THERE!
- Any mugs over the total number of people you would ever have drinking in your home in one go – Ya I need to get rid of or sell some of these…I have plenty!
- Any glasses over the total number of people you would ever have drinking in your home in one go – See above
- Anything that is past it’s best in the freezer – did this two weeks ago – fish from two years ago – yuck
- Herbs and spices you never use – my spice rack destroyed my spices…they are all rock solid now, I am pissed!
- Out of date medicines – ya like the allergy pills in my desk that expired in May 2014 (I moved to this desk in July 2017 so I have NO idea where this came from)
- Items related to hobbies you don’t do any longer – I keep my hobbies
- Memorabilia that doesn’t hold the same value for you any longer – my Kelly Gruber Rookie Card!!! NOOOOOO
- Toys no longer played with – I will never throw out my pound puppy of my build-a-bear
- DVDs you have watched and won’t watch again – yep I am defintely going to do this (and VHS tapes)
- CDs you don’t listen to any longer – for sure…all those mix CD’s
- Recipe books you don’t use – Weight Watchers recipe books anyone???
- Bad photos you have had developed that you will never want to frame or put in an album – as a scrapbooker this goes against who I am #sorrynotsorry
- Any junk mail / old paperwork that is piling up – I have a ton of my dads paperwork but since accountant died I am terrified he will be audited and I will be screwed!
- Hair products you used to use when your style was different – again or was a gift, just stop…my hair is in a ponytail 7 days a week
- Ornaments that you are sick of dusting – who dusts???
- Dead plants/flowers – I don’t have these…
- Shoes that hurt when you wear them – this will be tough…I’ll have to re-wear everything to see 😉
- Old nail varnish / nail varnish in a colour you don’t wear any longer – all of them??
- Excess baking trays / saucepans etc in the kitchen – I don’t bake
- Outside furniture that has faded, broken, or is past its best – can’t someone just repair my bench cause I love it!
- Food in cupboards that you and the family don’t like and won’t eat – why would I buy something I don’t like???
- Old calendars and diaries – I trashed these old things months ago because I was embarrassed at how stupid I was growing up
- Excess loose change – gather it up and get it to the bank – I really wish I had this problem….
- People in your life that make you unhappy to be around – again I am pretty good at this too
- Digital photos on your phone or computer that aren’t any good – I do this monthly as I print my photo’s
- Rusted/tangled jewellery beyond repair – ugh so much….
- Accessories that you don’t wear – like all the scarves and hats I have and NEVER wear!
- Bottles of alcohol that have only a tiny bit left in them – HAHAH I do not have this problem, no alcohol is drank at my house except a bottle of wine on book club night
56 things and this is JUST a start! WOW…okay I will work on this list for me and my precious KOKO who will not want to live under the mounds of books and photo’s that I’ll never scrap.